JOB TITLE: Accountant - Finance and Administration Officer
JOB TYPE: Full-time on contract employment
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya, at Biofarms Limited office.
SUPERVISOR/MANAGER: Managing Director or designated Authority.
Biofarms Limited is a horticultural production and marketing company. Working with
outsourced growers (70% production) and company production (30%), Biofarms
prides itself on quality and reliability, positioning as a supplier of choice in the
horticulture export sector. Please refer to our website www.biofarms.co.ke for further
PURPOSE OF JOB / POSITION
To the purpose of the position is to provide financial management and administration in
line with company policies. The position ensures full compliance with financial
management promoting good practice on financial accounting, administration and
analytical reporting for informed management decisions.
The Financial and Administration Officer / Accountant is overall responsible for the
overall financial management of the company in line with company financial
procedures and policies. She/he will ensure a prudent and sound financial
management of the company. Specifically, s/he will undertake the following roles and
1. Ensure prompt review of payment vouchers raised before payments are made to
suppliers, farmers, and all other creditors, ensuring accuracy and appropriate support documentation before recommending approval and payment;
2. As budget control focal point, ensure budget availability before creating obligations (POs and awards) and before recommending payments approval;
3. Regular undertake petty cash reconciliation as a financial monitoring function and before approval for replenishment;
4. Ensure timely and fully compliance with determination and settlement of all statutory deductions;
5. Ensure timely filing and following up on VAT returns and claims.
6. Overall in charge of general budget controls to ensure compliance with the approved budget;
7. Function as the control for debt management, ensuring prudent management of cash flows for smooth operations and creditors payments;
8. Undertake financial forecasting and cash flow management, analysis and advisory to the management and accounts committee.
9. Ensures transactions are promptly posted in the accounting system (Sage or other systems as may be adopted from time to time), ideally on a daily basis unless otherwise agreed on an exceptional basis;
10. Undertake monthly bank reconciliation, ensuring all journals, ledgers and trial balance are accurate and updated;
11. Function as the principle focal point in annual in budgeting, quarterly budget reviews, cash flow forecasts;
12. Responsible for the timely preparation of final annual financial accounts and management accounts.
13. Ensure timely and prompt financial analysis and reporting for the overall company accounts and specific projects accounts as may be required from time to time;
14. Overview of accounting records, statements and bank reconciliation for subsidiary companies;
15. Provide support and oversight on procurement and administration in line with company policies;
16. Responsible for the overall financial management of the company, including supervision of accounts staff (Associates/Assistant) responsible for the accounts receivables, payables and petty cash;
17. Undertake review responsibilities in other companies in the group;
18. Any other related duties and responsibilities assigned by the supervisor or Managing Director.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
ü Professional accounts certification, CPA (K);
ü Bachelor degree in Commerce, Business Administration-Accounting, Finance
ü At least 3 years’ previous experience in similar/related functions in Accounts
ü Good working knowledge of the accounting system is required (experience in sage,
is a distinct advantage);
ü Good computer skills with advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel)
Core values and required skills:
ü Good planning skills
ü Strong interpersonal management skills
ü Organized and able to meet tight deadlines
ü Highly reliable, dependable and trustworthy personality,
ü Client-oriented, demonstrating proactive communication
ü Team player and good team management skills
Performance appraisal shall be done annually by the end of the calendar year based on
the company performance management framework. A mid-term Performance review
shall be held by mid-year to review progress.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit a one-page application
cover letter and updated curriculum vitae with 3 professional referees (not more than
3 pages) to email@example.com on or before midnight 21st January 2020. Please do not
attach certificate and reference letters at this stage.
+254 723 078 250 | firstname.lastname@example.org | © 2020 biofarms.co.ke
Aviation Centre, Block 43, North Airport Road, Nairobi, Kenya