JOB TITLE: Field Technical Assistant (6 positions)
JOB TYPE: Full time on contract employment
LOCATION: In south Rift (negotiable in Bomet, Kisii, Kericho, Nakuru Nyamira or Kisii
SUPERVISOR/MANAGER: Field and Out-growers Manager or designated authority.
Biofarms Limited is a leading horticultural production and marketing company,
specializing in fruits, mainly avocado, mango and passion fruits. We envision to be the
leading dealer and exporter of organic certified Fruits in Kenya. Biofarms prides itself in
quality and reliability, positioning as a supplier of choice in the horticulture export
sector. Please refer to our website www.biofarms.co.ke for further information
PURPOSE OF JOB/Position
The position is under the Avocado value chain and primarily focus on avocado
farmer mobilization and integration in Biofarms Limited supply chain in South Right
Region primarily Bomet and neighboring counties including Kericho, Nakuru, Narok,
Nyamira and Kisii.
Under the direct supervision of the Field and Outgrowers Manager and / or
designated authority, the position will be responsible for farmer mobilization in
one of the designated regions and lead in identification and recruitment of outgrowers
(farmers and farmer groups), technical extension support, harvesting
coordination/supervision as well as farm compliance.
Specifically, you will undertake the following roles and responsibilities;
1. identifying and mobilizing farmers (individual farmers and farmer groups) in
Biofarms Limited supply chain;
2. Provide technical support to farmers to ensure increased and sustained
production and supply in line with company targets.
3. Ensure sustainable avocado production for smallholder farmers to promote
increased incomes for farmers.
4. Provide extension services on crop-husbandry and post-harvest management to
5. Ensure that newly engaged farmers are well inducted and trained on agronomic
practices in avocado production.
6. Regularly conduct food safety and quality checks in order to determine areas of
improvement and ensure the systems meet Global GAP, Social and Environmental
requirements and any other standards the company may be implementing.
7. In case of non-compliances, follow up with Technical Manager to ensure such are
addressed and closed in timely manner.
8. Ensure farmers maintain updated records on production and crop management
in line with good agricultural practices;
9. Act as the custodian of all company records and documents in the area of
10. Conduct spot checks on contracted farms to verify that policies and procedures
are implemented as required.
11. Prepare weekly monitoring reports on accomplished tasks and make
recommendation on actions requiring urgent attention.
12. Develop harvesting program in close consultation with the Operations and
packhouse manager to ensure synergy with market program;
13. Plan and coordinate all harvesting activities and ensuring timely harvesting and
delivery of produce.
14. Undertake any other duties related to the function as may be assigned from time
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
1. At least diploma in Horticulture, agriculture, agronomy or related discipline /
2. Certificate plus two year of additional practical experience is acceptable
3. At least 1 years’ practical experience in avocado value chain is required.
Technical and practical expertise in avocado production and post-harvest
management is key for this position.
4. Practical experience in other value chains is added advantage;
5. Current network with farmer and farmer groups in related value chains
(Avocado) is distinct advantage;
6. Computer and report writing skills is required.
Core values and Required skills:
7. Good planning skills, organized and able to meet tight deadlines
8. Highly reliable, dependable and trustworthy personality,
9. Client oriented, demonstrated communication skills
10. Team player and good team management skills
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit a one-page application
cover letter and updated curriculum vitae with 3 professional referees to
email@example.com. The deadline for application is Friday 9th April 2021. Applications will
be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate the title of the position applied on
the email subject
+254 723 078 250 | firstname.lastname@example.org | © 2021 biofarms.co.ke
P.o Box 7277 - 01000, Thika - Kenya. The Avocado Complex - Athena, Off Thika - Garissa Highway